Understanding the Model: Section 1 for Professionals in the Remodeling and Construction Contracting Industry
CLIENTS FOR LIFE
The Home Asset Management Plan (HAMP)
Understanding the Model
for Professionals in the Remodeling and Construction Contracting Industry
CLIENTS FOR LIFE’s Home Asset Management Plan (HAMP) is a new and unique program that takes a comprehensive view of a customer’s home and property from the top down. HAMP is designed to be a full service program that meets the total needs and desires of a unique segment of the market. The cornerstone of the program is the strong relationship of total trust and confidence that your company has earned through past work. The goal of the program is to provide the client with a reliable and trustworthy “partner” or “advisor” for maintaining and enhancing the value of their home, assisting the client in creating a personal vision for their property.
The plan “binds” these three basic components:
- Maintenance – Routine inspections and service focusing on such items as HVAC, lawn maintenance, sprinkler systems, alarm systems, filter changing, energy cost reduction, etc
- Repairs – Small non-recurring maintenance projects such as replacing a window, repairing a door, etc.
- Remodeling and building new structures – This will include full service remodeling of kitchens and baths, room additions, home offices, major renovations, etc., as well as building a guest house, adding a garage, perhaps constructing a vacation home, creating a pool house, adding an outside entertainment area, and other such projects
The plan will contain a list of projects with project schedule and estimated costs that will become the action plan for the next twelve months as well as the planning document for future projects within the next 3 to 5 years. The plan will grow and change over time. It is intended to invite an ongoing interactive dialogue with the client.
The Mindset Change. Upon seeing the program for the first time, some may have the reaction “we are doing most of this now-what is the difference?” Instead of looking at a client as a good source of work, and knowing they will call you when they are ready to do some remodeling, the HAMP program takes a “proactive” approach, and has created a plan where we regularly contact them. We don’t wait for the clients to call with their next project but are proactive in setting up a meeting with them to jointly develop a three to five year plan for resolving their facility needs and desires before they arise.
To understand the HAMP mindset change, we need to ask:
“Why is the HAMP program different?”
“How is it unique?”
“What sets it apart from what we’re doing now?”
The answers are:
- We are ‘proactive’ instead of reactive (waiting for a call)
- We take a ‘global, comprehensive view’ instead of a job by job view
- We ‘jointly develop a proactive plan’ with the client
- We develop a ‘long range plan’ (at least three years)
- We help the client create a ‘vision’
- We address ‘family needs’
- They are our ‘client for life’
- We have a “WIT” (Whatever-It-Takes) attitude
What the program is not:
- It is not a “small job specialist” program. This is the ‘handyman’ concept and that is not the focus of HAMP. We want to distinguish HAMP as being a program that meets the total long-range needs and desires of a unique segment of the market. Yes, small jobs are included in the program but as a part of the service we provide in the total package.
- It is not a “home inspections” program. There are individuals and companies that offer this service and we are not in that business. We will do a home assessment as part of our data collection but that is only a small segment of the total package.
- It is not for everyone! This is a unique program for high-end clients and we must do everything possible to make them feel that they are unique. These are clients who want someone to take care of all their property needs and are willing to pay for a trusted advisor.
These short, to-the-point videos include:
Who are the Clients for Life, HAMP clients?
Possible Client Profiles
- People of means, i.e. high-end clients
- Past clients with whom the company has enjoyed a trusting relationship
- People who want someone to take care of the needs of their home
- People who are willing to pay for services for the home and grounds
- Those who understand the value of an advisor to help care for one of their valuable assets
What are we offering?
- Trusted advisor in joint collaboration with client to take care of all the facility needs and desires of the client
- Full-service program for client’s property
- Comprehensive plan helping client manifest their vision of home
- – Home Asset Management Book – attractive compendium of work and longer-term plan
- – Home inventory
Why are we offering the Home Asset Management Plan?
- Provide on-going reliable and efficient care of their valuable asset, their home and grounds
- Encourage client’s realization of their home as a reflection of themselves
- Encourage longer-range planning which can minimize the emotional and financial impact on client
- Relieve client of burden of home care
- Provide a trustworthy partner or adviser for maintaining and enhancing the value of their home
- Provide the assistance they need to create a vision of possibilities
- Create a documented annual plan to preserve and enhance their home
- Just like a family doctor, you become the family contractor
- We become a “single source” home adviser
When is the Home Asset Management Plan advantageous?
Now: Handle immediate needs to bring property up to a manageable level
On-going: Handle recurring service needs, provide periodic property assessments and an updated annual plan
Future: Provide up to three to five year project timeline, to be reviewed and updated annually
How do we deliver the Home Asset Managment Plan?
- By meeting with the client(s) to listen and respond to what they want and need regarding their property.
- By creating a multi-year plan, including short- and long-term projects, that capture the client’s vision, and then executing the plan.
- By providing responsive service and giving the clients a high priority in attending to their building care needs.
- By assigning a HAMP manager to each client, removing the client’s need to know which person in the company to call for what.
- Proactively define short- and long-term projects to meet client’s needs and wants.
- With ongoing client contact instead of waiting for them to call.
- By bundling tasks for efficiency, profitability, and convenience.
Where do we deliver the Home Asset Management Plan?
- In the comfort of our clients’ homes
- Into the fabric of our company, i.e., where each company member is keeping an eye open to potential new clients and to serving existing clients even better.